NIE University consists of three state-of-the-art institutions – NIE Institute of Technology (NIE), NIE Industrial Training Institute (NIE IT) and NIE First Grade College (NIE FGC). The University is unique among its peers in having multiple renowned institutes on independent campuses within the same city. This proximity naturally facilitates multidisciplinary, cross-institute collaborations.
From humble beginnings in a thatched shed, NIE has grown into a powerhouse of higher education, churning out the best and brightest of minds in engineering and business. With a Deemed University status awarded in 2019, NIE University will strive to be among the top 10 universities in the country in 10 years, and among the top 10 universities in the world in 20 years.
EVOLUTION THROUGH EDUCATION
“If institutions like MIT and Caltech could pioneer innovations to change the world, there is no reason why an Indian institution in Mysuru could not do the same given the city’s academic ambience and educational history.”D A Prasanna, Founding Chancellor of NIE University
“Prasanna is a distinguished NIE alumnus and he is a competent, value-based, dynamic, result-oriented and team-oriented professional. It was he who germinated the idea of NIE University in the minds of the Management Council Members when he joined the NIE Management Council a few years ago. Thanks to his vision, leadership, tenacity, hard work and commitment, that idea is about to become a reality.”N. R. Narayana Murthy, Co-founder & Former Chairman - Infosys
PRIDE OF NIENIE University has a proud history of achievements since its inception over 70 years ago. Our outstanding faculty, researchers, and alumni have achieved accolades over the years and are recognised around the world for their contributions to varied fields, from sports to industry and education. We take great pride in celebrating the successes of individuals who drive us closer to our goal of being global players in every field. Our world-renowned achievers prove that an education here is what you need to be ready for the future.
D A Prasanna
Former Vice-Chairman, Wipro
Dr. N Krishnamurthy
Renowned Academician, Singapore
Former Indian Basketball Player
E A S Prasanna
Former Indian Cricket Player
N R Narayana Murthy
Co-founder & Former Chairman, Infosys
Mysore Nagaraja P E
Former President, MTA CC, New York
Sir M. Visvesvaraya
Sri M. Visveswaraya, the 19th Diwan of Mysore and a visionary, envisaged a pressing need for more well-qualified engineers to step up and foster the development of Mysore. A renowned Indian Chief Civil Engineer himself, he inspired three engineers reporting to him – Sri S. Ramaswamy, Sri D. V. Narasimha Rao and Sri T. Rama Rao to bring his vision to life by setting up NIE in 1946. After a slew of initial setbacks, NIE became affiliated with Mysore University in July 1950. From humble beginnings, NIE then grew exponentially to become the full-fledged educational institution with state-of-the-art facilities that it is today.
Sri S. Ramaswamy
Sri D. V. Narasimha Rao
Sri T. Rama Rao
Ever since the beginning, NIE’s journey has been one of continual progress. Here are the milestones that have helped NIE become one of the best engineering colleges in India.
NIE Society and National Institute of Engineering established with the first batch of 86 students.
NIE Industrial Training Institute established, offering training for useful vocations such as electricians and motor vehicle mechanics.
NIE First Grade College established to provide education in Science and Commerce.
National Institute of Engineering obtained autonomy.
NIE Institute of Technology established to provide value-based technical education.
2019: NIE UNIVERSITY
In 2019, NIE achieved full autonomy as the legislation deeming it as an independent university was passed. The vision for the future includes a new campus in the next three years, replete with courses and facilities to provide the best and most exemplary educational experience to students who enter its portals. This transformation will be overseen by NIE Society and NIE Foundation.
THE NIE EDGE
NIE is known for fostering success and strives to encourage students to chase their dreams, no matter what they may be. The freedom to introduce contemporary methods into the education we impart gets further expanded and amplified as we move from the status of an autonomous institution to a University.
- National Institution Ranking Framework (NIRF-2019) places NIE in the Top 200 Engineering colleges in the country.
- Outlook magazine ranked NIE Group of Institutions #22 among India’s top 100 Engineering Colleges in June 2017.
- NIE University will extend beyond engineering, with courses in Basic and Applied Sciences, Law, Journalism, and Business Management.
- A high faculty-to-student ratio is maintained for teachers to give more individual attention to students.
- Training programmes and extra-curricular activities are devised to impart valuable life management skills.
- 17 patents and over 60 PhDs awarded.
- Hundreds of research papers published annually.
- Centres of Excellence in fields such as renewable energy and fire safety established.
- Our fire testing laboratory is recognised nationally by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) as the best facility of its kind.
- Our Centre of Excellence - CREST - has been selected by World Bank and Govt. of India to advise on renewable energy.
- NIE is the only institute to qualify for all 3 rounds of TEQIP, a World Bank assisted project to improve the quality of the technical education system in the country.
- NIE also advises other institutes on TEQIP procedures.
- The Placement Cell organises seminars, courses and interactive sessions to prepare students for interviews and corporate life.
- Multinational companies such as Nokia, Benz, Eicher and Infosys collaborate with NIE for research, internships and developing curricula.
- Autonomy allows NIE to offer electives designed by the best companies who additionally offer internships as part of the learning.
- NIE prides itself in having a vibrant campus with five auditoriums, a large sports ground, an emergency medical response centre, fully-equipped laboratories, in-house indoor sports facilities, and separate hostels for boys and girls.
- Students excel in extra-curricular activities such as Cricket, Badminton, Basketball, Table Tennis, Wrestling, Judo, Gymnastics, Carrom, and Chess.
- Student Clubs for cultural, sports, technical, and artistic interests encourage collaboration and holistic growth for all.
Backed by the rich legacy of NIE University, all our institutions are recognised, accredited and highly ranked.